Some great wisdom imparted by Shay Banon (creator of Elasticsearch).
- Be bored. To promote innovation.
- Open source and building a critical mass. Be committed. You need to care for it now; IRC, forums, negative feedback, bugs.
- The benevolent dicator model (BDM) versus the democracy with a leader model.
- Be distributed.
- Choose a useful (and normally hard) problem to solve.
- Best way to learn is to actually build something.
- Double down on passion. Recruit passionate people (e.g. story about the guy who paid for Elastic training off his own back).
- Videos are for collaboration.
- Simple things, should be simple. Not easy though.
- Hierarchy matters. Humans can’t make decisions in groups.
- IT is obsessed with whats next. You only need to look backwards for answers.
Read other posts